Reading Time: 4 minutes
Nowadays, there is a huge demand for new emails by individuals. The reasons could vary from one person to other. Some people want privacy. So, they make a new email for specific personal and professional reasons. While some want to separate their workspace and organize it. So, they make a new email for a different purpose. Hence, at one point there are too many emails to be handled. Hence, many people prefer to get rid of the extra emails. In this article, you will get to know about the process as to how to delete an AOL email account. AOL was originally called America Online. It is a well-known online service provider and a web portal provider. It is currently marketed under the brand of Yahoo Inc.
However, do you know that AOL was one of the most popular email providers back in the mid-2000s? It was considered one of the topmost companies at that time. But some unfortunate activities on the part of the company led to its downfall. It eventually made it very unpopular and attracted too much criticism for its conduct. Now, this is here why you should consider deleting your AOL email account. There is a high chance that your data has been used with malicious intent. Herein, you will get to know about some of the allegations put against the company that led to its great downfall.
Reasons to delete an AOL email account
- Disputes in billing- it was found out that the AOL company was very sluggish in stopping the billing of its customers. This happened to a lot of people after they called their account. As a result, many lawsuits were filed against the company for unfair billing practices.
- Ignored account cancellation- it was argued that the company purposely ignored to stop billing and account cancellation of many people. There were over 200 complaints against this.
- Terms of service- the TOS of AOL company was unpleasant and quite complicated. Many users found them intricate to understand. This caused many troubles for customers. There were issues relating to privacy breaches of customers.
Relatable: Recover permanently deleted Emails from Gmail
Things to know before going to delete an AOL email account
There are a few important things that one should consider knowing before going to delete an AOL email account. These are a crucial part of the process and customers must be aware of the process completely. So, here are they:
- You will have to close each username on the account separately. So, if you have more than one username. Go ahead and close all of them separately.
- It takes 30 days to close primary usernames. So, always remember not to use these within 30 days of closing the account.
- You will have to first cancel your subscription and pay all the dues before going to delete an AOL email account. Once, you have done both these things then after 90 days you can close your AOL account.
- In case, a payment method is shared between two different users on the same account. Then you will have to close both the username. If you want to avoid it, then first change the payment method and then close the desired username.
- It takes several days to close an AOL account. So, be patient after you have finished the process.
- Once, your account has been deleted successfully. You will lose all the data saved on that account. This includes all emails and email folders. You will no longer have access to this information anymore.
Steps to delete an AOL email account
- Using your account credentials, first sign in to your AOL account. There go to the dashboard and locate the delete account option.
- In case you do not find it, just type “aol.mydashboard.oath.com/delete-my-account”. This will take you to the required page.
- Now, you will have to sign in to open the pager after opening the page. Enter the required information to sign in and continue.
- There you will find an option to continue to delete the account. You will find it at the bottom of the screen. Tap on it to continue deleting the account.
- Now, enter the required email address. Afterward, provide complete AOL account details.
- It will ask to terminate the account. Select the yes option present on the bottom of the screen.
- Follow any more instructions that appear on the screen to successfully close/ delete an AOL email account.
How to recover/ regain a deleted AOL account?
- There is a possibility that you deleted the important AOL account by mistake instead of the waste one. But no worries, you can still get it back by following some simple steps. As a matter of fact, an AOL account takes about 30 days to finally complete an account. Hence, you still have a chance to recover the deleted account.
- The first is very simple. Just use your login credentials and log in to your old account.
- Afterward, follow some on-screen instructions to verify the recovery information.
- Now you can use your old AOL account easily.
- Make sure to sign in within 30 days. Afterward, you will not be able to regain it.
Some tips to use any email account safely
- Do not open an email that comes from an unknown source that contains an attachment. The attachment might contain a malicious program.
- Mark spam those emails that are of no use to you.
- Always unsubscribe from emails that you do not want to read.
Closing an email account can have many reasons. But one must take care before closing any account. Make sure that you have backed up or retrieved all the important data before closing the account. Care must be taken before closing the account. All the payments should be cleared and the subscription should be canceled.